From 2003 to present,
the League’s annual budget has grown from $600,000 to more than $4 million, with a full complement of services for our community’s most disadvantaged individuals.
the Buffalo Urban League’s Adoption Program was certified, a first in the history of the minority community in Western New York.
In June 1990
more than 300 people celebrated with the Urban League as they marked the formal grand opening of the new headquarters in the heart of downtown Buffalo.
Beginning in 1990
a Minority and Women Community Revolving Loan Trust Fund was established to provide low interest working capital loans to minority and women owned businesses.
the Urban League and the New York State Department of Social Services began an innovative program designed to facilitate the matching of potential adoptive parents with children available for adoption in Erie County.
the Buffalo Urban League headed a team of organizations seeking quality education in the City of Buffalo in light of the Federal Court decision by Judge John T. Curtin regarding desegregation of the Buffalo Public Schools.
the Buffalo Urban League was invited by Urban Properties, Ltd., to serve as sponsor for 400 housing units to be built with funding by the Federal Housing Authority.
the agency officially became the Buffalo Urban League, Inc. (although many continued to call it “The Chapel”).
some sixty groups met regularly at what became known as “The Chapel”. One of the groups which were started at the Chapel as a Work Progress Administration (WPA) orchestra was the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra.
Established in 1927
Established in 1927 by an interracial group of prominent citizens, with initial funding from Mrs. Alfred H. Schoelkopf, the Buffalo Urban League was formed to address the employment, housing and social needs of African-Americans and immigrants migrating from the South to the North.